“Little Red Riding Hood, Beauty (who didn’t back down from the Beast), and Gretel (the smarter sister of Hansel) — these are just a few of the brave, inventive, and independent young ladies who populate this fascinating collection of folktales.”
These are not stories of helpless females shut up in high towers waiting around for a handsome Prince to rescue them. These are tales of strong, independent, brave, at times irreverent girls and women who take charge of their own lives, go on their own adventures and rescue themselves and the ones they love.
The clever serving maids, brilliant princesses and other females in this collection have far more to distinguish them than the fact that they end up happily married to a prince!
Title and End music by Emmy award-winning composers Gary Schriener and Curt Sobel.
Introduction by Alison Larkin
1. The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen
2. Molly Whuppie and the Double-faced Giant by Flora Annie Steel
3. A Pottle of Brains by Joseph Jacobs
4. Cap O’ Rushes by Joseph Jacobs
5. Hansel and Grethel by the Brothers Grimm
6. Mr. Fox by Joseph Jacobs
7. Clever Grethel by the Brothers Grimm
8. Kari Woodengown by P.C. Absjornsen
9. The Twelve Dancing Princesses by the Brothers Grimm
10. Felicia and the Pot of Pinks by Madame la Comtesse d’Aulnoy
11. The Iron Stove by Miss Mulock
12. The Hedley Kow by Joseph Jacobs
13. The Six Sillies by Monsieur Lemoine
14. Baba Yaga a Russian folk tale re-told by Verra Xenophontovna Kalamatiano De Blumenthal
15. The Old Woman in the Woods by the Brothers Grimm
16. The Idle Spinner by the Brothers Grimm
17. The Twelve Brothers by the Brothers Grimm
18. Frederick and Catherine by the Brothers Grimm
19. Little Red Cap by the Brothers Grimm
20. Beauty and The Beast by Marie Le Prince de Beaumont
Flying Cloud Institute believes in the power of girls to change the world! FCI inspires young women through dynamic science and art experiences that ignite their creativity. We offer free residencies in public schools, after school robotics programs, and mentorships with women in STEM professionals. We are so grateful for Alison’s support of this important work: together we can create summer scholarships to make STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) education available to our Young Women in Science participants all year long!
PRAISE for Alison Larkin
“A narrator to seek out…unparalleled”
“Alison Larkin is hugely entertaining”
—The Times (London)